Monday, November 12, 2012

Wheely good news.

My husband & I went to see my Dad on Sunday afternoon. He recognised me immediately, which is always a good sign! The previous week he'd fallen backwards out of his wheelchair (which shook him up) and so the facility had decided he needed to go into a bigger wheelchair. Why they hadn't made this judgement call earlier is a bit mystifying. I think he had put his feet on the ground and straightened his legs and the wheel brakes weren't on so the wheels slipped and over he went.  One of his little fingers was damaged, but that was it. Fortunately I turned up to visit him and Mum had turned up just after it happened, so he had lots of loving support to help get over the shock.

My mum had described the wheel chair he was now in as one of those padded ones. So I was imagining they'd put him in one of the massive wheel chair/bed contraptions that the severely disabled residents are put. Thankfully that's not the case. He's in a larger, more robust chair and he can't put his feet easily on the floor (and give himself the leverage to tip over).

My husband & I were exclaiming over the wheelchair (you're in the Rolls Royce of wheelchairs, Dad!). When I mentioned he won't fall out of this one he was mystified because he's completely forgotten about his little accident!

We also got his TV working properly - not that he really watches it, but he has laughed when we've watched funny things so it does bring him some pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment