Monday, August 27, 2012

Mah Jong

I've been scratching around for a hobby (other than reading) and when I saw that a local learning centre offered beginners Mah Jong I was there like a shot!  This week was (I think) week 5 and I got to play with the big girls! And I did OK. No Mah Jongs but I was *this* close to at least one!

The ladies I play with are a lovely bunch - our teacher is a wonderful lady who has played for many years.  Unfortunately her husband is seriously ill, on the mend, but still very ill.  Now that we all know we ask her how things are - the answer this week was good, last week was not so good.  It's creating a small community that appeals to me, as well as making some new friends and learning a new skill.

I lashed out and bought a (second hand, very cute) travelling Mah Jong set and have played a couple of games with myself (a bit dorky I know, but a good way to learn the different hands).  I'm hoping to possibly get together with a couple of ladies to play ad hoc games outside our normal times, but as the other newby I've met is about to head off overseas for 2 months this will have to wait.

Still, I'm really enjoying playing and hope to continue for many years.


No comments:

Post a Comment