Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Cars

I used to own a Toyota Corolla Seca.  It had mag wheels - sweet! You still see quite a few of them around and with their curvy styling they still fit in with today's car styling. I loved that it had central locking. And velour seat covers!


This could have been my car!

Before that I had a Diahatsu Rocky, which I brought with a previous boyfriend. I think we took it 4WDing once. And I managed to skid on gravel and crash it, which put me off driving on gravel for many years.

Prior to that I drove a baby poo brown Datsun Sunny 120Y.  It was cheap as chips to run and had a groovy disco light in the centre of the speedo that would come on if you weren't being economical.  It came on quite a bit when I drove it.
Not my car, but really close in colour.

Prior to owning the Dato we had a VW which my mum brought in the early 1970's and I purchased off of my parents when I got my licence.  I loved that car - we put a new motor in it, and new running boards and various bits and pieces, but its days were numbered.  The holes in the floor in the back seat could have been a bit of hint. Or the burnt through heater boxes which meant that pure exhaust was flowing through the cabinet in the middle of winter (keeping the side windows opened was the trick to not dying).

I loved my car so much that I put a sketch of it on my 21st birthday party invitations.  Yes, I know, that's a bit sad.  Anyway we got rid of it because when I was leaving my last day of work before going to uni someone drove past me in the car park, rather than waiting whilst I backed out. One of the exhaust pipes was ripped off and it was going to be quite expensive to fix. I was semi-gutted.  

We advertised it in the Sunday Times and few punters called and eventually two of them got into a bit of a bidding war and eventually we sold the VW.  The whole family stood on the front lawn and watched her trundle off down the street. It was quite sad. The end of the an era.
Mmmm Flesh coloured duco.






No comments:

Post a Comment