Friday, September 7, 2012

Renewal

Yesterday the house on the corner diagonally across from us was knocked down. Every single tree on the block was also removed.  I knew it was coming - the Council sent us a letter advising of the imminent demolition and, from that point on, I mourned what I knew to be the loss of yet more vegetation in our suburb.  The poor birds. And insects. Poor us - losing beautiful greenery, and the sound the wind makes in the trees, and their visual gorgeousness, particularly when in flower.

I went to work with a heavy heart, not knowing what the extent of the damage would be.  Some people do retain some of the vegetation on their properties, but most don't. When I returned home my worst fears were founded. However later that afternoon, as I walked my dogs back from the vet (annual jabs for one of them), I pondered the internal battle that was raging. Yes I was devastated that my suburb had lost yet more trees, but when this suburb was initially developed, some 50 or 60 years ago, all the native vegetation was removed. And when we built our house (in what had been someone's backyard), we knocked down all the trees on our lot.

So I really should be revelling in the renewal, rather than mourning the loss. However this realisation doesn't make their loss any easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment